This Old Schoolhouse…
… the place where people come to learn and inspire one another.
The Greater Norristown Art League’s (GNAL) home is a small, one room schoolhouse that was built in 1894. The current building is a replacement for the original school which was built in 1771 by Norristown’s first physician, Dr. Shannon. It is the oldest school in E. Norriton Township. Dr. Shannon’s family hosted George Washington on his march from Valley Forge to New Jersey in 1778.
After the township divided into East and West Norriton in the early 1900s, the building was no longer needed as a schoolhouse and subsequently sold for $875. It was sold again and used as a Community Center.
Fun fact: Charley McCracken and Joanne Jackson, both GNAL members, once attended square dances here.